100 Years Ago
November 9, 1922
- The neighbors had a farewell party for Mr. and Mrs. F. Duvall and Mr. and Mrs. Art Wood of Norman Township at the clubhouse.
- The Wm. Sullivan family of Kerrick left for Superior where they will make their home.
75 Years Ago
November 13, 1947
- Snow-sleet-cold and winds sweep through the area causing damage to power and phone service. Area schools and some business were closed for three days.
- Sunday, a plane made a forced landing on the Swormer place near Cloverton. Fortunately no one was injured. Monday, the plane owners made arrangements to move the plane.
- Some of the little folks in Duquette helped Mary Ana Melancon celebrate her first birthday last week.
-An eight pound baby boy was born Oct. 25 to Mr. and Mrs. John Stead at the Nedegaard Maternity Home in Sandstone.
50 Years Ago
November 9, 1972
- David Lunde, age 13, was one of the younger hunters to get a spike buck. It was shot about seven miles east of Askov.
- Mr. and Mrs. Gerald Novak of Willow River are the proud parents of a baby girl born Nov. 3 at Mercy Hospital. She weighed seven pounds twelve and three quarter ounces and will be known as Betsy Lynne.
- The McGrath School district was dissolved at the State Board of Education Sept. 11 regular monthly meeting.
- Mr. and Mrs. Art Kalafut of Reading are happy parents of a baby girl born Oct. 30.
She has been named Sarah Ann.
25 Years Ago
November 13, 1997
- Two new “Welcome to Finlayson” signs have been installed in the city on Highway 18.
- North Pine Riders Snowmobile Club in Willow River have built a new 40 by 60 foot storage building. The work was done by Don Tasler Construction Sturgeon Lake.
- AAL (Aid Association for Lutherans ) are starting a branch in Moose Lake.
- Trygve Koland of Sandstone passed away suddenly at his home on Nov. 2. Funeral service was held on Nov. 6 at Evangelical Free Church in Sandstone.
- Bruno elementary school third graders put on a magic show for their classmates.
- Sturgeon Lake Area Lions are 20 years old and member Dutch Thornton has never missed a meeting.
10 Years Ago
November 8, 2012
- Louis Gerard of Duluth and formerly of Willow River enlisted in the U.S. Army Air Force in 1948. He is the last living member of the group of 54 men who formed the 148th Fighter Wing in Duluth.
- Moose Lake Willow River Rebels football team are Section 7AA champs for the seventh straight years.
- Major (P) Jimmy Carlson has been promoted to Lieutenant Colonel. Carlson and his family are stationed at Fort Campbell in Kentucky. He is the son of Christine Carlson of Nickerson.
- Bruno Volunteer Fire Department receives an AED (automated external defibrillator) from Heartland Racing Pigeon Foundation of St. Paul.