Fall sports are quickly approaching, and here are some things that athletes need to know.
Athletes will need to have an updated physical with the school if their physical has expired. All seventh grade students participating in athletics will need to have a completed physical prior to start dates. Please check with your coach or contact the athletic director’s office for your expiration date.
If you have an updated physical, please submit that information to the athletic director’s office. Students can register and pay for their athletic fees on the Pine City Public schools athletic webpage at https://pinecityhs.rschoolteams.com/.
Cross country running
The head coach is Jared Clementson and can be contacted at email@example.com. Practice times for seventh through twelfth grades will start on Monday, August 15 from 8-10:30 a.m.
Students will meet at the track, and all runners should bring running shoes, a water bottle, and a watch (if they have one).
Equipment distribution will take place on August 15 from 4-5 p.m., followed by practice from 5-8 p.m.
• August 15-19: Practice from 5-8 p.m.
• August 22-26: Practice from 5-8 p.m.
• August 27: Scrimmage in Rush City 8 a.m.-1 p.m.
• August 29, 30: 5-8 p.m.
• August 31: 8-9:30 p.m. (JV/V only)
• Sept. 1: First game vs. North Branch at 7 p.m. at home
• Sept. 2: 8-10:00 a.m. (JV/V only)
On the first day of practice, athletes will need to bring cleats, shirt and shorts. Practices will be held at the high school using the fields on the east side of the school. Athletes will need to complete registration, athletic fee and have a physical on file with the athletic director.
Seventh and eighth grade football
Junior High Camp will take place August 23-25, equipment distribution will be from 4-5 p.m. followed by practice 5-7 p.m. Please bring cleats, shirt and shorts. Practices will resume on Sept. 6 after the first day from 3-5 p.m.
Grades 4-6 equipment distribution will take place on Thursday, August 11 from 5-6:30 p.m. Practice will begin the week of August 15 and will be determined by the coach. Athletes must be pre-registered, and fees must be completed prior to getting equipment.
The head coach is Kristin Unverzagt and can be contacted at firstname.lastname@example.org. Tennis practice begins on August 15 at the Pine City High School courts for all 7-12 grade players interested in tennis.
Players just need rackets, tennis shoes and a water bottle. Racquets are available for those that don’t have one. Practices will run from 8-11 a.m. the first week and match play begins on Friday, August 19 in St. James for the varsity team.
The head coach is Tammi Nelson who can be contacted at email@example.com. High school tryouts/practice begin August 15. Any seventh and eighth grader wanting to try out for a position on a high school team (C/JV/V) is invited to attend the tryouts. Team placements will be based on skill, attitude, effort, coachability, and position played. Team placement will likely be done by the end of practice on Wednesday, August 17.
Practice schedule for the first few weeks of high school tryouts/practice:
• August 15: 8-10:00 a.m. and 2-4 p.m. (grades 10-12); 4-5:30 (grades 7-9)
• August 16: 8-10:00 a.m. and 2-4 p.m. (grades 10-12); 4:-5:30
• August 17: 8-10:00 a.m. and 2-4 p.m. (grades 10-12); 4:00-5:30
• August 18: 2-4:00 p.m. (JV/V) and 4:00-5:30 p.m. (C squad)
• August 19: 7:30-9:30 a.m. (JV/V) and 9:30-11 a.m. (C squad)
• August 22: Scrimmage in Esko (no JV or C practice)
• August 23: 2-4 p.m. (JV/V) and 4-5:30 p.m. (C squad)
• August 24: JV/V Scrimmage in Mora; 4-5:30 p.m. (C squad)
• August 25: 8-11 a.m. (JV/V) and 4-5:30 p.m. (C squad)
• August 26: JV/V @ Royalton tournament; No C squad Practice
• August 29: C/JV/V vs. Mora
• August 30: 3:30-5 p.m. (JV/V) and 5-6:30 p.m. (C squad)
• August 31: No practice
• Sept. 1: V/JV/C @ Milaca
• Sept. 2: 8-10 a.m. JV/V (No C squad practice)
• Sept. 5: 5:30-7 p.m. (Varsity only)
High school practices are in the high school gym and junior high practices are in the elementary gym. Girls should have gym clothes, knee pads and court shoes for practices. Also be sure there is a current physical on file to be eligible for tryouts.
Junior high (grades 7/8) practices begin on Tuesday, Sept. 6 from 3:30-5 p.m. in the elementary gym.